Wednesday, December 29, 2010

SCBWI Team Blog Interview with Art Director Denise Cronin

These interview questions came in pre-blizzard, but still, there're a lot of similarities between what postmen and art directors slog through to get to work. Thanks to Denise for taking the time to chat with SCBWI Team Blog!

Jaime: Denise, did you know not only are you an Art Director, you're a flipping Vice President? What is your average day like?

Denise: If you count time spent on the train, checking files and reading manuscripts, my day is about 9 hours. We are usually juggling about 60 books at various points of development. I work very closely with the editors and the designers in my department from start to finish. Making books is very collaborative. Rarely do I work alone.

Jaime: I'm always interested to hear what catches an art director's eye in a bookstore—do you have any favorite covers (not from your publishing house) for 2010?

Denise: Some favorite book covers for 2010 are THE DREAMER, illustrated by Peter Sis and written by Pam Muñoz Ryan (designed by David Saylor and Charles Kreloff);

THE BOSS BABY, illustrated by Marla Frazee (designed by Ann Bobco);


IT’S A BOOK, illustrated by Lane Smith (designed by Molly Leach);


and CATS’ NIGHT OUT, illustrated by Jon Klassen and written by Caroline Stutson (designed by Lucy Ruth Cummins).


Jaime: Nice! We heard a bit about Jon Klassen thanks to your fellow conference faculty member Lucy Cummins. Let's get down to the really important question: What does a VP/AD snack on?

Denise: When I am successful in avoiding the vending machines down the hall, my favorite snack is herbal tea with honey. When I cave, it’s usually chips or strawberry Twizzlers.

Jaime: Kill, kiss or marry: Helvetica, Baskerville or Comic Sans?

Kiss Helvetica, marry Baskerville, and (of course) KILL Comic Sans!

Jaime: Favorite Pantone color?

Denise: I’m fond of the “mutes”: 611, 535.


Jaime: What can out-of-towners look forward to doing in New York in late January if it gets less blizzardy?

Denise: I love to take long walks exploring the city, with strategic stops for hot cocoa. I hope to go ice skating in Bryant Park this winter.
From http://nnmportfolio.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Blizzard2010097.jpg

Jaime: Fantastic ideas! Final question, are you willing to share some snapshots of your office?

Denise: Office toys and a bulletin board!

Jaime: KILLER! Thanks, Denise! Illustrators, can you spot your postcard on Denise's bulletin board?!? I am loving those top four animals. Meet Denise at the upcoming SCBWI International Winter Conference—and there's still room in the Illustrators' Intensive!

9 comments:

Tara McClendon said...

Thanks for the interview. I love the bulletin board.

Cuppa Jolie said...

Another great interview, Temairik!

Lee Wind said...

thanks to both of you for this - and really, I'm adoring the "kill, kiss, marry" font feature. Comic Sans has never looked so wrong before! Great stuff, Namaste and Happy New Year!
Lee

Samantha Vamos said...

I'm a fan of Denise Cronin's and it was great to read this interview. I LOVED the Kiss, Kill, or Marry question? That was ingenious.

Martha Brockenbrough said...

I would like to leg-wrestle Comic Sans. I think I would totally win.

Pen and Ink said...

Loved It's a book and Boss Baby. Must get Cats Night Out for a first line post.
Thanks for the insights

Joan Holub said...

Enjoyed this interview, Jaime and Denise!

I love your blog design, Jaime.

CocoaStomp said...

Hey Tara! I know, I love those bulletin board sneak peeks.

Thanks for reading, Jolie, Lee, Samantha, and Pen and Ink!

Martha... I think you could beat Bookman Antique, but Comic Sans studied karate in high school.

Thanks, Joan!!!

Allyn Howard said...

Both interviews were fun!! Always nice to get a sense of the people behind the publishing magic! I, too will kill comic sans.

Glad I found your bog, I Love your drawings!!